Here you can find the best available online advice and guidance for community archives.
In 2018, in response to a survey of our members, we collated all the community archive related training materials from many sources around the country into one easily accessible central online resource. You can browse this resource below.
- Topics in this section will help you start up a community archive and decide what it is you wish to do. You'll also find guidance on managing volunteers, premises and finance.
- Guidance on organisations that provide funding and on raising money for projects
- What you need to know on how to best manage what you collect, how to create catalogues, plus technical guidance on how to preserve and display your collection.
- Helping you think about who your audiences are or ought to be and how you can attract new ones, how you tell people about your group and its resources, how you publicise your collections and how you can measure how successful your activities have been.
- Here are some of the resource pages put together by other organisations, including local and national bodies.
- Second Edition (2017) of the Guidelines produced by the Community Archives and Heritage Group (CAHG). We have tried to make the guidance straightforward and user-friendly.
- On 25 May 2018, new data protection legislation will come into force that will affect all organisations, including community archives. Read our guidance.
- The Community Archives and Heritage Group (CAHG) has developed these guidelines for community archives. The aim is to provide a practical introduction to digital preservation.
- These guidelines are designed to encourage you to look for moving image materials, and to look after those you already have.
Carry out an advanced search of our directory of archives.
- The 2020 Community Archives annual conference will take place at UCL on 24th June. We hope to see you there!
- The deadline for the 2020 Community Archive awards is March 31st
- Check out our resources section for the best available online advice and guidance for community archives.
- Get the latest news and information by getting our newsletter.