Stokesley Local History Study Group
The study group was formed in January 2003 and has members throughout the country who are interested in Stokesley’s local and family history. The study group meets on the 1st Monday of the month (with the exception of July and August) in a community care room above Stokesley library in Town Close, between 1.30 – 3 pm.
Members of the public are very welcome to attend to pass on any knowledge, information or the loan of photographs of Stokesley. The study group have produced project files which are kept in the library for anyone to look at. There is an index to the files which is updated when new material is added.
The study group’s main objective is to be responsible for Stokesley’s history to be recorded for future generations. Other aims of the study group are:
- To study archival and verbal sources of Stokesly’s history
- Actively seek out information
- Catalogue and index results
- Produce publications
- Pass on archival documents to county archives
- Encourage study of old documents
- Arrange exhibitions and displays
- Encourage people to contribute material
- Arrange talks and local history walks around Stokesley