Portchester Civic Society
The Society is concerned with Portchester, the area within Fareham Borough Council in Hampshire, which extends from Hamilton Road in the East to the Delme Roundabout in the West.
Our aims are:
- To promote high standards of planning and architecture.
- To educate the public in key aspects of the area.
- To secure the preservation of places of historical and environmental interest.
‘Portchester in Living Memory’ is an oral history project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The project grew naturally out of the activities of the Portchester Civic Society in holding an annual exhibition of its memorabilia and inviting members of the public to share their reminiscences.
The intended outcomes of the project are:
- A book of transcribed memories, not only of elderly folk but different generations, to show the flow of historical memories of, for example, going to school in the 1930s, up to the present.
- A CD-rom, suitable for national curriculum history work at key stages in local schools.
- The production of display material suitable for use in local schools, libraries and museums to promote the project to the community.
The Society also contributed to the Hampshire Photographic Project.