Freshwater & Totland Archive Group
The forming of Freshwater & Totland Archive Group in 2010 led to establishment ten years later of the West Wight Heritage Centre.
Donations of unique and fascinating material demonstrating the real sense of pride in and affection for our villages has been built upon on to provide an easily accessible archive where our local history can be learned, shared, appreciated and preserved. With enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and ongoing training we think of ours as a real “People’s Archive”.
The group is voluntary and largely self-funded. Information and contributions are welcomed while browsing of material by more elderly members of our communities is encouraged to revive dormant personal memories making every day a learning day.
The aims of the group are;
- to learn of and share our local history and to acknowledge those responsible for making them what they are.
- to collect, preserve, and index original source material such as photographs, documents and recordings.
- to encourage further interest by preservation, protection, and accessibility of archived material by any appropriate means.
- to foster continuous interest and enthusiasm by educational means including but not limited to, displays, walking tours and visits to schools and other organisations.
- to promote and encourage training to ensure the above aims are achieved in a correct and professional fashion.