Bishopthorpe Community Archive

Bishopthorpe children on a day trip to Filey, 1949

Bishopthorpe is a thriving village to the South of the city of York. Because the Archbishops of York have (mostly) had their base there since the summer of 1226, many important events have taken place there, and many important decisions made.

Bishopthorpe now has its own community archive which is expanding constantly. People from both the village and from outside are encouraged to join in this work.

The archive now consists of 1,200+ photographs.  They range from the late 19th century to the present.

Material is scanned into the computer, catalogued and indexed thus
making it easily searched by topic, name of person, place, location and date.  For example, searching an event such as the Bishopthorpe pageant will produce photographs and programmes dating from 1930 to 2000.   A local person can be followed through from childhood to adulthood and can even be identified within a group using a system called 'hot-spotting'.

Photographs of buildings and streets reveal the growth and change in
the village.  Creating a collection in this way reflects cultural
heritage and preserves village history for future generations.

The adminstrators of the archive always need help in identifying the
people, places and events in photographs. The stories and memories which lie behind them are also of great interest and can be included in the 'reminiscence' sections.

In fact, they are interested in any Bishopthorpe-related material for
the archive; not only photographs and slides, but also documents, newspaper articles and leaflets.

The group can be contacted through Bishopthorpe Library:

Main Street

YO23 2RB

Telephone: (01904) 705386.

or via their email address.

This archive entry was last updated on 21/05/2014. Information incorrect or out-of-date?
Add an archive
Do you know a community archive that isn't in our list? Please add it.